Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What I have learned about Horse Drawn Carriages

After working very hard finding an old used carriage years ago and working very hard restoring it...
I have learned alot about what to do and what not to do.
I think I may have gotten the "cart before the horse" because I bought the carriage I now have without
having a horse that could draw a carriage at all. I am sure I am not the first person to do this.
I had high hopes for my Arabian horses thinking that it would be "so easy" to teach them how to drive a carriage - boy was I wrong. Just seeing it made them skittish. So much for that idea.
So I bought a spring wagon that needed restoring too...sorry but my budget only has me buying used stuff. So here it sits still unrestored....I bought 2 actually - a nice looking one that didn't seem to need alot of work and one that I figured could be used for parts. Well time and circumstances being what they may they are still just sitting...and my life has changed considerably since those purchases...
check back later for the rest of the story. Well in hindsight after lots of sanding and painting if I had known back then what I know now I would of bought an already restored carriage. As you can see below there are plenty for sale...so shop around and see what other people are asking before going ahead with that restoration project.